Friday, June 22, 2012

Coach Profile: Katie Blamey

With so many new coaches joining the program, we thought we’d give them all a quick introduction; where they’ve come from and where they are heading. We'll be posting a few profiles up each week but in the meantime you can also find them here!

Katie Blamey
Home resort: Mt.Buller/Perisher Blue
Riding since: Moguls since 2006, Snowboarding before that!
Favourite memory in the snow: Skiing Pow in Mammoth with Nicole Lewis
Best achievement in the snow: Landing my first backflip on snow
Favourite resort: Steamboat Springs
Nickname: KTB
Years with CWS: 3 years

KTB living it up in the mountains
Hey I’m Katie. I have been playing, training and competing in the snow since I was two years old. I began alpine racing when I was five, which gave me great fundamentals for skiing, of which I now use in the moguls. I have been both an athlete and a coach for TBR (Team Buller Riders) for the last 7 years. This year I have made the move up to NSW as the best mogul course in Australia can be found at Perisher.

KTB ripping up a storm (Photo: Pete McNiel)

I absolutely love anything that has to do with mogul skiing. There is more exciting than standing at the top of Woodrun on a pair of straight skis looking down at the field of moguls below. I switched over to mogul skiing when I was 15 where I learnt many of my first tricks of the trade with TBR. At 16 I made the Australian Development mogul team, where I trained and competed along side many great Australian and International skiers for two years.

I am still obsessed with moguls, therefore I tend to take part in anything relating to the sport, whether it be competing, coaching or judging. As long as there is bumps, jumps and speed I’m there.

Slaying pow on her mogul skis (Photo Pete McNiel)
In between seasons when I don’t have a goggle tan, I found time to squeeze in Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science which I recently just graduated.

I am extremely excited to be involved with Chick with Stix for the third season running as the involvement of women in sport is important, not to mention it involves my three favorite things skiing, friends and those beautiful white mountains.

Can’t wait to shred with you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment